It’s never too late! – My Sunday Stream of Consciousness!

by Tanya on March 11, 2012

I’ll start by saying this is not a typical Stream of Consciousness. I’m breaking the rules by adding this video link, and many others, to something I came across yesterday. It’s called the Invisible Children, you may know it as Kony 2012 or you may not know it at all. If you haven’t seen it yet, you may want to watch the video first. Yes, it’s almost 30 minutes long, but I believe it’s well worth those minutes for several reasons.

Here a link to the video:

Ok, now that you’ve watched the video, maybe you’ve already heard of the campaign, have an opinion, maybe you’re saying “Yes, old news, this has been going on for years”? Maybe this is completely new to you and you’re currently bubbling up with frustration over what you just watched and asking “how can I help”? Either way I’m glad I was able to bring it to your attention because old news, new news, it needed to be seen again.

There is much criticism out there over this particular campaign and I’ve done my research and have my own opinions. You should do your own research too. I can help by providing you with some links:

Here’s Invisible Children’s rating and information on Charity Navigator. They currently hold a 3/4 overall, and here you can read the conversation on Reddit between Noelle at Invisible Children & members of the public with strong opinions. IC defends off concerns. I’ve read it all. More articles here, here and Africom is here. And please go to Invisible Children’s blog and read the director’s response to this article in the Washington Post and IC’s response to the criticism.

After all my reading, a lot of it, I’ve come to my own conclusions. Is this charity, Invisible Children, sensationalist? Yes, maybe, but that’s the goal here! This film was produced very well. They had to make it understandable to the masses to get a movement heading forward and quickly. The LRA and men like Joseph Kony, things like this have been going on for decades, longer even, this IS old news. I remember being fired up over these topics over 20 years ago. Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, Darfur, the list goes on both then and now.

I posted this campaign on Facebook yesterday, because though I know about things like this happening, I hadn’t seen THIS video yet, THIS campaign, Kony 2012. My husband works in the media and he hadn’t seen it either. Apparently over three million people have, but we hadn’t and it moved us to remember that this is going on. While we’ve been self-absorbed with our own lives, our own agendas here, this kind of thing is still happening in Africa. It was a harsh reminder and you know what, I don’t care what campaign reminded me of that, reminds us all, the important thing is that we were reminded. The important thing is the MOVEMENT! The movement to make things like this stop.

This campaign by Invisible Children, if this works, goes viral and this man is brought to justice, it’s a great thing whether you believe in Kony 2012 or not. It means that this new thing called social media worked in powerful, positive ways, it means I can have hope that people when joined together for a common cause can move mountains.

I like this quote from a poster on Reddit “I’m behind this organization for the simple fact that it empowers youth unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. Imagine what this will do to people if it becomes successful and makes millions feel like they did something to help”.

I support the Movement, I believe it’s never too late, you have to start somewhere!
Peace!

Times Up!
This has been my Sunday 5 minute Stream of Consciousness.  – Only today I made an exception!

Want to try it? Here are the normal rules…

* Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.
* Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
* Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
* Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
* Link up your post at all.things.fadra.
* Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.

#SOCsunday

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Please share the LOVE:-)!

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Maureen | Tatter Scoops March 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

I saw the video being posted by a lot of my friends on Facebook but I haven’t had a chance to truly digging and doing my research on it, so big thanks for this. The video got me to tears. So so sad but I’m with you if we can raise awareness through social media that would be so fantastic. Thanks again!
Maureen | Tatter Scoops recently posted..Deciphering MeMy Profile

Liane Caruso March 11, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thanks for posting this…and for posting both sides of the argument. Great article, view point and thanks for bringing light to the issue.

Tanya March 12, 2012 at 10:17 am

You’re so welcome. Feeling the need to get feeling off my chest these days! Much love to you Liane!! T

By Word of Mouth Musings March 11, 2012 at 10:41 am

Personally, I don’t think it matters that this is being hailed as too late. Really, just the fact that it is raising awareness with college students and a younger generation that there are things around the world, outside of their comforts zones that are not right … that is good for change. Anything that raises awareness of the atrocities in the world – can never be too late!
By Word of Mouth Musings recently posted..Be the change you wish to see SOCMy Profile

Tanya March 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hear, hear:-). Thanks for you comment Nicole, it’s never too late! T

Jayla March 11, 2012 at 11:21 am

You took the words right out of my mouth! Friends and family members alike have been criticizing this all over Facebook because of the money profits the campaign makes, the rumors surrounding the fact that Kony may have died, etc. And I have been wanting to comment on this whole issue for a while now, but I haven’t really found the words that truly describe how I feel about it.

Sometimes I think people are too focused on the surface of things and don’t take time to look deeply.

To stumble upon this blog post has made me happy and relived. Thanks so much.
Jayla recently posted..The Prime of my Life…My Profile

Tanya March 12, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thanks Jayla. I’ve had the same experience with comments from others. I agree some may not be looking at this deeply enough. Nice to have you understand how I feel:-).

Heather March 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Perfect! The Today Show had the film maker on and he was stating the same sort of thing you are. The issue is finally being noticed by millions thanks to media like this and that is exactly what he was aiming for.

Tanya March 12, 2012 at 10:19 am

That’s so good to hear. I just had to get my feelings off my chest, so much to both sides of this really. T

Kenya G. Jonson March 12, 2012 at 5:35 am

I saw this video on Friday and sat and looked at the whole thing. I was sick to my stomach. I had never heard of him and I am glad the story is getting some attention now. I saw last night that one of the mutilated children will be on a talk show today. I was drifting off to sleep so I don’t know which one.

Tanya March 12, 2012 at 10:18 am

I felt the same way, sickened. It’s all over the news I hear, I don’t pay much attention myself so I have no idea what station either. Thanks so much for you comment!! T

Fadra March 18, 2012 at 12:07 am

I still haven’t watched the video (I will!) but your feelings are a lot of the same that I brought back with me from New York. Yes, we know bad stuff goes on but it’s time for us to stop simply looking the other way because it’s unpleasant.