To be or not to be, Vegetarian.

by Tanya on September 9, 2013

Our favorite quick food stop at Animal Kingdom!

Our favorite quick food stop at Animal Kingdom!

So, I’ve once again failed at being a vegetarian.  I don’t believe in diets, but life changes I do. I don’t diet as much for health of body as much as I do for health of planet so this has been a very long road for me.  My longest stint at being vegetarian was years ago before kids, I went almost three years only cheating a few times, holidays mostly. Those long standing family traditions always being very difficult for me. Italian, German, Polish, hello!! That combined with my love of eating. So I’ve always given myself a little forgiveness around things like Holiday and Vacation, another sore spot. I like to immerse myself in the culture of where I travel and much of that is based around food. Our trip to Norway this summer for instance. They eat moose, reindeer, whale and lots of fish.  Of course I’m going to try everything. Hated moose, yay!  We travel often, so this poses a problem as well and then before you know it, the wagon’s been toppled! So back to the drawing board.

Here is an example of my predicament. At the book store a couple of weeks ago I pick up my favorite magazine VegNews, a vegan publication. Then onto Mazzaro’s Itailan market for some pancetta to complete a dish I’m making for dinner. Does anybody else see an issue with this?! I had to call my hubby to shake my head verbally about the situation.

I do my best, I do have regular anxiety over it though, make justifications to myself often. We are slowly going back to Mostly vegetarian at home AGAIN.  A friend of mine told me about a new term the other day, I hadn’t heard it, Flexitarian. It was officially added to the Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary in 2012. It’s perfect for me (yet another justification), meaning A semi-vegetarian diet that is plant-based with the occasional inclusion of meat products. Hooray!

Ciao for now!

Please share the LOVE:-)!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Dawn September 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm

You know my thoughts on this – life and people are not black and white. I housed a piece of salami that was laying around this weekend because it looked good – disregarding that i have not purchased or ordered meat in 20 years. Get clear with your intention – which is to reduce your footprint on the planet….and then give yourself loose guidelines like only 1 cheat a week. – something you can live with but not get anxious and flog yourself about. It’s important we treat ourselves as lovingly as we treat the planet XO

Tanya September 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thank you for this:). I know I need to be less hard on myself. I think part of it is that I still worry too much what others might think of my choices and how I present myself. xoxoxo

Shannon September 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I’m struggling with the same issue, yet mine is from vegetarian to vegan. I seem to do better when I relax and just make one choice at a time. And not judge my choices as good or bad. ;) Baby steps. Balance. Intuitive eating. It’s all good. :)

Tanya September 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thanks Shannon! I do believe in Baby Steps:). We all need to lighten up and not judge ourselves to harshly. Best to you on your journey!
Tanya

Venus September 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm

You are amazing just trying your best to better our world. When you have good days and no meat has passed your lips, celebrate and enjoy. When you eat meat just be thankful for having food to eat and the wonderful company you are with and that’s it. Even people who have built their careers on being vegetarian or vegan slip up once in a while. The point is you are trying.
Venus recently posted..My Perfect SundayMy Profile

Tanya September 10, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Thanks so much Venus! That is a beautiful truth:-). Love!

Kristen Kelley October 2, 2013 at 1:15 am

I agree, it’s a process. When we first went vegan as a family over a year ago, we all were at different points. My 8 year old had a hard time giving up cheese and eggs. For my husband it was cheese, fish, and honey. We started off with a month of just vegetarian food, leaning toward vegan. Then, the month was up and we went for it. It was a struggle but something clicked for each of us at different points in time that just made it second nature. For me, it was the suffering of the animals that made the most impact on my choices. My daughter felt the same. For my husband, he is motivated by health. Forks Over Knives was our original inspiration and we just dug into as much information and as many of the veg movies as we could to help support us. Keep trying. You’ll get it! It’s so worth it. For the sake of the animals, the planet, and your health. Cheers to you for being so open about your struggle. Lots of vegans and vegetarians feel this way behind closed doors and are too ashamed to admit it was hard at first. :)

Tanya October 9, 2013 at 9:51 am

Hi Kristen. Thanks for the support:).